Saturday, January 21, 2012

Quote of the Day

I don't like that Archbishop John Nienstedt is threatening to punish priests who openly disagree with him over a constitutional amendment to define marriage as being between one man and one woman ("Priests Told Not to Voice Dissent," Star Tribune, January 15).

In a few weeks, I'll be 85. I'm a charter member of my church. I raised four children, all of whom attended Catholic schools. I've been active and engaged in my church all of my adult life.

That the archbishop would threaten the careers of priests who have devoted their lives to social justice is unconscionable.

If a fraction of this effort was put into weeding out the priests who had abused young children, we wouldn't have had the huge scandals and cover-ups or so many lives ruined by abuse.

I know that in speaking out about the archbishop's heavy-handed behavior, I risk alienating friends and family. But I must speak out.

This issue isn't a gay-rights issue – it's a human-rights issue.

– Beverly Sullivan
Letter to the Editor
Star Tribune
January 21, 2012


Recommended Off-site Link:
Archbishop in Minnesota Opposes Marriage Equality, Dissent in Equal Measure – Editorial (CommonDreams.org, January 17, 2012).

See also the previous PCV post:
Archbishop Nienstedt's Marriage Amendment Message to Priests: "The Stakes Could Not Be Higher"


1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Sullivan, your letter is wonderful. Speaking out against the unspeakable is always risky, but let not your heart be troubled. Your courage has brought you new friends, even if you can't call us by name. We, your new friends, thank you, and we wish you a grand 85th birthday.

    ReplyDelete